Sunday, December 17, 2017
I can't believe this clip is not all over ever Sunday show and not getting more attention. It sums up what is wrong with Speaker Ryan specifically and current Republicans in general: old ideas, archaic solutions.
Take the real issue of aging Boomers- facts are facts- but we don't need more babies in the world or in the U.S. to solve this issue. The last thing a world of 7.5 billion needs is more people adding to an already exploding, unsustainable population. Instead we need healthier citizens, collaborative technology, and less wasted resources.
Here are some solutions we should try instead of becoming breeders for Boomers:
- More Peace
- Hire Diplomats: The State Department has cut the budget for diplomats under Rex Tillerson. We need more diplomatic efforts and deals cut in the world vs saving pennies and spending billions on another war or defending escalating aggression on foreign soil.
- Military Contracts: War is profitable for many. The Military-Industrial Complex is incentivized to keep us on war-footing in order to secure their lucrative contracts. Want to save money: war less.
- More Wellness
- Healthier Citizens: Everything from the food and water supply, environmental pollution, and healthcare options need to be our focus if we want to keep the aging and current population as well and active as possible. When we over-work, over-stress, and under care for folks it costs us far more than a wellness based approach would.
- Better Research: Alzheimers alone can take down the U.S. healthcare system if we don't get a handle on it. Not only is it a devastating disease for the patient but the family is often stuck between raising their children, working, and caring for parents. It's depleting their work, community involvement, and quality of life. We need to fund research and have better programs to care for those affected.
- More Equity
- Fair Taxes: Wealthy Americans need people to buy their goods and services, educate their kids, clean their homes, wax their boats, and keep their lifestyle going. If they hoard their wealth the middle class will dwindle and not only will it be un-Christian and bad for business, it is bad for the general welfare of the country that allowed them to prosper.
- More Freedom
- Healthcare Rights: Restricting birthcontrol, abortion, and a safety-net for women to choose what works for their families cost our country. To be clear: more babies aren't free.
- Death with Dignity: Put the fact that most costs are incurred in the last few months of life aside and just allow folks to decide what works for them and their family. Have restrictions in place so that abuse is minimized but not only would it save billions but what speaks more to our freedom then let us decide when and how we want to die.
- More Smarts
- Better Education: Education investments have priceless ROI: keeps kids safe, advances prospects for a better society, makes kids more employable for future, and could spark the next technology wave.
- Better Infrastructure: High speed transportation is a key to everything from jobs and the environment to how to provide a better quality of life for our citizens.
I could go on and on... immigration reform, prison reform, election reform. There are endless issues that can be solved if we came together as a country. The Republican taxcuts are about to give corporations and the 1% billions of dollars... or we could make all of the above investments and not only help The Boomers but invest in our entire society.
We don't need more babies, we need more adults who are willing to lead our country forward with smart solutions.
Sunday, December 3, 2017
Recently I've been obsessed with money. Not my normal area of interest, which might be the reason I'm now hyper-sensitive to it 😉 ... but for various reasons I've been focused on the generation, flow, and exchange of money.
My friend Vickie and I even meet weekly for a Money Club that started after we read Jen Sincero's You Are A Badass At Making Money. I loved this book because it takes on money not as a heavy topic but more as a way to up your energy... a game... a Hi-Vibe way of being in the world.
There are currently several money exchange avenues but none have jelled and caught fire. Banks offer their programs and PayPal's Venmo is popular among the kids these days.
But what I want is an E-ZPass for the Internet where I can exchange money not just out in the world but also online without a big deal every time I want to do it.
I think the Cash App is almost there.
Simple, beautiful interface, and I think with this added game-changing feature it could be the new face of money...
My idea 💡
Create a CA$H icon/button on social media bar (& 🛒 ) for websites that links to their account so you can micro-tip/spend until you want to CA$H out.
I suggested this idea first for Square but I think it's even a better fit under the CA$H umbrella. Cash-tags can be used with url's for every site on web even if they don't want to sign up until there is money donated/sent to them. Imagine how it can transform the way charities, journalists, artists, politicians, etc. are funded.
We use E-ZPass to get around tollways, E-Z CA$H can be how we move money.
Sunday, November 19, 2017
Pride and greed. It's not really a puzzle to understand why Putin feels slighted and wants revenge on our country. It's simple and basic...
To understand why Putin came after Clinton and the U.S. election go back to the humiliation he felt when the U.S. bested the Soviet Union. Frontline did a very good 2-part series that lays out his motives: Putin's Revenge.
And when you understand the reason for his anger then add in the fear he has being overthrown by outsiders (or his own people) and why he is hoarding billions so he can not only wield power but have the means and loyalists who will help him if he is threatened.
Stayed Tuned with Preet has a great interview with Bill Browder about Sergei Magnitsky that is chilling and completes the picture. It ties in with the Trump Jr. meeting to complete the full circle of why Putin wanted Trump in office and what he was hoping to gain: money, destroying the U.S. political system, returning Soviet/Russian pride to his homeland, and removing the barricades that stop the oligarchs from getting their fortunes out of Russia.
Putin and his minions have pulled off one of the great threats to our national sovereignty and he didn't need to declare war just simply meddle in our election and then sit back and watch us take each other down.
It's like we are living in a overly dramatic spy novel and yet here we are. Fascinating, captivating and terrifyingly still on-going. If you are an patriotic citizen please watch and listen to these stories. No matter what party you belong to it's imperative to know what we are facing as a nation and why we need more from our leaders then partisan bickering. We need to see what Putin is doing and what is at stake if we don't pull together to fight his attacks on our democracy.
Monday, October 30, 2017
Take Aways: You’ll leave with a hard-cover professional artist sketchpad, an easy-to-follow guide to the technique, and a tangible blueprint of what you’ll be working on to create the life you want.
Feel free to come solo, you'll meet some lovely folks... but it's always great if you can do something this fun and important with someone you care about so invite away :)
Sunday, October 8, 2017
The President of our country is now threatening war on Twitter weekly and it's scary as hell!
I get the dilemma: Twitter thinks it's doing a public service by providing direct access to the news worthy leader of our country; 45's critics say it's an abuse of the platform.
Solution: Let him tweet (so we have the record for history, for Mueller, and for monitoring) but stop the spread of his tweets by cutting off the ability for him to get ❤️s and retweets.
This compromise allows him to go on record but not use Twitter to spread the threats/war speech.
It's hard to believe Chief of Staff Kelly, FLOTUS (with her anti-bullying campaign) and his children have yet to stop this destructive habit but since they haven't we need to patch together a fix that will stop the spread while keeping an eye on what we need to know as a nation.
Note: Probably good idea for him not to be able to retweet any non-verified accounts as well but let's start with baby-steps.
Tuesday, September 19, 2017
We were cyber attacked by Russia during the 2016 election and it's not OK. I mean it's really really not OK. And the astonishing thing is Russia shot a weapon at the U.S. and we're going to let them reload for 2018 like there is nothing we can do about it.
We need to demand that Facebook and Twitter either get their services under control or take them offline and shut them down while any and all voting is taking place in our country. We don't let this type of sabotage and not only false advertising but blanket foreign propaganda on our airways we can not allow it on our other media platforms as well.
I'm no tech expert but there must be a way to block IP addresses that spam, unleash bots, or are found to be connected with nefarious foreign sources. Start a volunteer bot-army brigade that provides the company with suspected violators- I'm sure your communities would step up to help. Or just spit-balling here...how about asking Hillary Clinton and Mitt Romney to head bi-partisan group to work with both the government and Silicon Valley to unite behind American Commission on Cyber Safety.
We now have Russia sitting back and relishing Trump starting tough talk with other nations. Who knows how far this will go? Are we going to let our enemies use our own technology against us?
I am a huge fan of Twitter and before they screwed with my feed (another rant for another day) loved Facebook as well. I dare say they have been two of the best inventions of our time. But with great power comes great responsibility and these two brilliant guys need to know their country needs them to put our nation's sovereignty and well being before their shareholders and even their customers.
Tech-war could start a real war and there is no like-ing our way back from all the loss of life, treasure, and progress this will cause. I'm calling on Mark and Jack to step up and stand up for their companies to stop aiding and abetting our enemies.
Come one guys, I know you want to do good in the world - now's your time!
Tuesday, September 12, 2017
Bill Maher has been making the point for years that Democrats need better messaging. Dan Savage summarizes it perfectly in above clip and in his recent interview with Katie Couric (@ 47:30) reinforces the point... wording is the key to Democrats swaying "reachable" voters.
Democrats need to have clear concise messaging that all of them can get behind:
Universal Healthcare vs Single Payer
Earned Benefits vs Entitlements
Marriage Equality vs Gay Marriage
Estate Tax vs Death Tax
People don't want to be forced to think about: paying, giving entitlements, gay sex, and taking away a widow's money. Don't even get me started on Global Warming! But Americans do want: healthcare, benefits, equality, and for the uber wealthy to pay their share.
But who can lead the country to this new wave of power-packed words as political weapons?
As much as I love Dan Savage (Bill Maher too) and as much as we need them to come along we need someone a tad less crude to lead this parade... so I nominate Donny Deutsch!
Donny lead an advertising company, is politically savvy, hates what #45 is doing to the country, and loves a BIG IDEA.
I envision a think-tank type environment [ for now we'll call it: Word D Institute ] that brings together political minds, artists, creatives, social justice activists, and marketing mavens to create simple clear one page, one theme, one soundbite (with talking points) messages.
Unseating Trump is not a strategy that can be banked upon, but getting prepared to focus the conversation, seeding the way, and getting excited for '18 needs to be where all the energy goes.
Donny are you in?